Heritage Highway 89 – Little Denmark Section, Utah

Heritage Highway 89 – Little Denmark Section, Utah

This area of the Hertiage Highway 89 is primarily influenced by Scandinavian prioneers that were sent by Brigham Young to settle the area.  The skill of the Masterful Scandinavian woodworkers and the stained glass providers are relected in many of the marvelous local bed and breakfast inns in the area.  There are 11 different communities that youw ill pass through on this leg of the journey.

Fairview, which was originally named North Bend in 1859, was a site for gathering wild hay.  The name was changed to reflect the few available from the town, 30 miles of grain were visible from the site.  At one time there was a stone fort built with 10 foot walls to protect the settlers from Indians.

Mt. Pleasant was settled first in 1852 as Hambleton Settlement.  The Native Americans drove the origianl settlers from the town and burned the community to the ground.  The settlers relocated to Spring Town (Spring City) and later to Manti for protection.   Wehn a large colonizing party from Ephraim and Manti returned to the area in 1859 they laid out a new, permanent townsite located one hundred miles south of Salt Lake City and twenty two miles northeast of Manti.  By 1880, at which time Mt. Pleasant was the county’s largest city, with a population of 2,000, more than 72 percent of its married adults were foreign born. This ethnic diversity had an important impact on village life during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. For decades, five languages were commonly spoken in town, creating confusing and sometimes amusing communication problems.  The treaty ending the Black Hawk Indian War was signed here.

Fountain Green was originally a campground for Mormon colonists immigrating to Sanpete VAlley.  The twon was settled in 1859.  With Big Springs, Silver Creek and large artesian wells at this locaiton it helped to jusitfy the town’s name.  It has long been known for its cooperatively owned Spanish Merino sheep herd.  Each July the community has a celebraiton called Lamb Day.  It is famous for its underground pit cooking over 30 lambs that are made into lamb sandwiches.  The event includes a play mutton busting, carnival, softball games, fun run, and a parade so if you are in the area in July, join the celebration.

Moroni was orginally names Mego and Sanpitch which were the names of the local Native Americans.  It was established in 1859 and renamed Moroni for the Book of Morman prophet and angel.  The community is also home to Moroni Feed Company, one of the world’s most successful turkey cooperatives.

Ephraim was settled in 1854 and was once the most important fort built for protection from Indians during the Black Hawk War.  Ephraim is the home of historic Snow College.

Manti was settled in 1849 and is the oldest community in Sanpete County.  Chief Waler invied Brigham Yount to establish the village.  The Manti Temple was bult from local stone between 1877 and 1888.

Sterling was settled in 1873, it has also been known as Pettyville, Pettytown, Leesburg and Buncetown.

When you get to Mayfield you will see why the town got that name, the flowers in the spring are beautiful.

Gunnison was established in 1862 by settlers from Chalk Hill Point and Kearns Camp came together to form a single community on higher ground.